Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 2 EOC Case Study: Human Resource Management in Action


This is a tough situation but I think I would support Donna. She has been a loyal employee and very hard working. She doesn't call in sick often and would often times cover shifts for those who did call in sick even if it was her day off. I think she deserves a little bit of slack especially since it was her only daughters' graduation. If it were any other occasion then it wouldn't be acceptable but since this is a big part of her daughter's life, I would expect her mom to be there to experience it.
I would also let Donna know that this is the only time that this is acceptable, any other no-shows and she will be terminated. 
However, there are no laws in the book stating that she would be allowed to not show up due to a family event. Donna should know that work comes first and she committed to this job. 
As a boss, I would want my employees to feel appreciated without them taking their job for granted. Since she was such a loyal employee and I would want to keep employees like her around, I would probably pass this circumstance as a warning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment